Thursday, February 7, 2019

Alita: Battle Angel, pre-review

I can't say it's a review - I haven't seen the film yet! But I've viewed every trailer and clip I can find, because this one looks exciting!

A lot of the complaints I see seem based on characteristics of the film that parallel characteristics of manga.

Manga is not for everyone. It is juvenile and sometime puerile. It's philosophical and psychological depths are often stereotypes, and simplifications.

Much like Marvel and DC comic story lines we've seen in the past decade or so of story/movie conversions. AMOF, I've often seen similar negative comments on that spate of Marvel and DC comic/movie conversions. So, hey, the original stories were not Hemingway or Conrad deep. And any good movie conversion, that is honest to the original stories, won't be, either. But they can be deep, introspective, and philosophical in their own way. Spiderman and X-men are good examples of comics depth.

If you can accept and enjoy the original stories on their own merits - then you might also be able to enjoy the movie conversions - when they are good. The recent "Ghost in the Shell" movie is a good example of a BAD adaptation - lord love a duck, it's bad. Alita, on the other hand (I've only had access to clips so far), seems to be quite the opposite - as good a conversion to movie as you can expect - when moving a story from print to screen.

And it looks to me like a damn good story, and a ton of fun!