Sunday, November 2, 2008

On Russian democracy, and the future

I am disappointed in Mr. Putin. While his peaceful term in office has been highly beneficial to the majority of Russians, the direction I see his government headed in, will, in the long run, almost certainly be less than beneficial to the majority.

The continuing deaths of political opponents has passed the "smell" test - it stinks of involvement. While the economy may continue to do well, compared to the international economy, it is because of the presence of oil - Russia's Athenian silver. Cronyism and corruption abound, and there seems to be a lack of concern for the average man. The end result must be that the benefits that the economy will bring to the majority must shrink.

This is only a very very short statement of opinion. There is so much more to be said, and discussed, on the subject, but I promised friends I would have something here. I will write more on this subject in the future.